- 2013-2014: 147 schools in 26 states (# students TBD)
- 2012-2013: 140 schools in 26 states (59,953 students)
- 2011-2012: 136 schools in 26 states (51,950 students)
- 2010-2011: 126 schools in 25 states (44,727 students)
Closed or control transferred to another entity at the end of 2012-2013 (five schools):
- California (1): Pacific Technology School – Orangevale (closed)
- Florida (2): Sweetwater Branch Academy and Sweetwater Branch Academy Elementary (closed because of poor school grades and financial trouble)
- Maryland (1): Baltimore IT Academy (indicators that control has been transferred: staff now using @bcps.k12.md.us email instead of @bitacademy.org; website used to be www.bitacademy.org but is now http://www.baltimorecityschools.org/Domain/5027
- Minnesota (1): Minnesota School of Science (closed)
School replaced (one school)
- Arizona (1): Sonoran Science Academy – Peoria (17667 N 91st Ave., Peoria) has replaced Sonoran Science Academy – Phoenix Metro (2645 E. Osborn Rd., Phoenix) on the Sonoran Schools website. Webpage for SSA-Phoenix Metro redirects to SSA-Peoria, a new location 30 mi. away.
New schools (12 schools)
- Discovery Academy of Science (1380 Pinehurst Rd., Dunedin)
- River City Science Academy – Innovation (3251 Newell Blvd., Jacksonville)
- Horizon Science Academy Belmont (5035 W. North Ave., Chicago)
- Horizon Science Academy McKinley Park (2245 W. Pershing Rd., Chicago)
- Indiana Math & Science Academy – South (2710 Bethel Ave., Indianapolis)
- Pioneer Charter School of Science II (planned for Saugus; using temporary location in Everett)
- Gateway Science Academy – South (6651 Gravois Ave., St. Louis)
New Jersey (1)
- Paterson Arts and Sciences Charter School (151 East 33rd St., Paterson)
New York (1)
- Utica Academy of Science Charter School (1214 Lincoln Ave., Utica)
South Carolina (1)
- Greenville Renewable Energy Education ("GREEN") Charter School (1440 Pelham Rd., Greenville)
- Harmony School of Exploration (9305 W. Sam Houston Parkway South, Houston)
- Harmony School of Innovation – Euless (701 S. Industrial Blvd, Suite 105, Euless)
Known Gulen charter schools in the works as of 9/14/2013 (eight)
- Connecticut Academy of Math and Science: most recent known activity was in January 2013 when a Letter of Intent was submitted to the Connecticut Board of Education
- Capital City Charter Science Academy: most recent known activity was in August 2013 when an application was submitted to Leon County Schools
- Lewiston-Auburn Academy Charter School: most recent known activity was in September 2013 when a Letter of Intent was submitted to the Maine Charter School Commission
New York (1)
- Westchester Academy of Science Charter School: most recent known activity was in February 2013 when the Letter of Intent was accepted and the operator was invited to submit its full application
- Allentown Engineering Academy Charter School: most recent known activity was in February 2013 when the application was rejected by the Allentown School Board
- Erie Biosciences Academy Charter School: most recent known activity was in February 2013 when the application was rejected by the Millcreek School Board. There were indications that the founders might appeal.
- Young Scholars of McKeesport Charter School: most recent known activity was in March 2013 when the application was rejected by the McKeesport Area School Board. The founders stated that they would appeal.
- Academy of Business & Entrepreneurship Charter School: most recent known activity was in September 2013 when a Letter of Intent was submitted to the School District of Lancaster (SDL). The SDL school board had rejected the charter in March 2013.
For additional details about these schools and other past attempts, see Proposed Gulen charter schools, a page by CASILIPS.